Turkish Republic of North Cyprus is haven for adventure lovers. This small island is packed with untouched beauty of mountains, expansive sandy beaches, crystal blue waters, exotic sea life, pristine trees and clear night skies. The island has areas offering sheltered coves, peninsula and historical footsteps of Greeks, Romans and Venetians. Natural, sun drenched retreats for scuba diving, the wild trails in mountains filled with delicate aromas of pine trees and wild flowers – North Cyprus is a secluded place in Mediterranean Sea with a life time experience of adventure.
Now, adventure lovers very well know that such trips do not include luxury hotels, spas, casinos or shopping. But these trips definitely involve long walks in the rugged terrains, cycling among the twisted jungle tracks, open nights at the beaches, jeep safaris and days without shower.
If you are coming to North Cyprus to indulge in a hiking track, make sure you come prepared. Here, we have prepared a list of essentials for a backpacking adventure tour:
1. Most importantly pack as minimal as possible. So far as clothes are concerned go for rugged and strong outfit. The ‘Libre Sweater’ is a good choice for cold nights in a camp or during hiking. It is made of llama wool; thus, it is naturally warm and light weight.
2. Boots are the hikers most crucial gear. Invest in a good pair of shoes. Do not go for some cheap options. Since you will be walking a lot, it is better to get a sturdy and comfortable pair. Extra pair of undergarments always go a long way. A light down or insulated jacket should always be kept in the bag when planning any outdoor trip.
3. Before starting the trip, check the weather conditions for the coming days. If there is even a remote chance of rain, pack a rain coat and some sort of insulation to cover your fabrics and machines.
4. Get equipped with a clear topographic map of the area you are planning to spend days. Find out all the nearby villages and areas from where you can get food supplies. Using GPS can be a good option. But there might be places where you will not have good internet signals. So, keep a good compass at hand.
5. Find a light weight but strong backpack. As almost all your belongings will be in that one bag, therefore, choose wisely. Test for the comfort level before buying it.
6. Nowadays, you can easily rent a tent, but again it is advised by experts to buy a good one-person tent which will last you for years. Make sure it is water proof and sturdy.
7. If you have opted for a good tent, then buy sleeping pads with a fleece blanket and not a sleeping bag.
8. Prepare a small first aid kit, with waterproof bandages, painkillers, gauze pads and antibiotics. Just the essentials will do.
9. If the plan is to have night walks or sleep in, then keep a flash light with an extra supply of batteries. A pocket knife with some multiple function attached tools can be useful in case of some immediate emergency.
10. Do not forget to keep waterproof matches and lighters to start fires for camping nights.
11. Sunscreen creams and insect repellents are very important if you are new to the region.
12. Always keep some dry food items in your backpack. These can be biscuits, snacks or chocolates. Since its North Cyprus, you will find food easily but it is always better to be safe than to regret it later.
13. Keep yourself hydrated with an extra supply of water if you are walking or cycling.
14. If you are a camera geek, then do not forget to keep extra supplies of batteries.
15. Keep a supply of toilet paper and better still keep few small packs of wet wipes to have a comparatively cleaner experience in the wild.
16. Save the police number or your friend’s number, to handle any mishap.
Adventure trips are immense fun but before starting the endeavor, plan ahead and make a list of all the pros and cons. Of course, safety always comes first. But rest assured, a visit to North Cyprus will never leave you disappointed.
by Shema Bokhari